CAB ceo Justin Ratcliffe looks at the overall positive signs in the latest CAB State of the Market Survey for Q3, 2014 The latest CAB State of the Market figures for Q3, 2014 highlight the strength of the aluminium in building sector and to a certain extent the economy in general. A rise in third quarter sales was reported by 80% net balance of members compared with the previous quarter and 87% net balance reported a rise in sales compared with 12 months ago. There are very clear signs that the recovery in our sector has become more sustainable and this is highlighted by further confidence of rising sales in both the final quarter of 2014 (60% net balance) and especially the year ahead (93% net balance). Headlines:
- 87% of CAB members, on balance reported a rise in sales in Q3 compared with the previous year
- 93% of members reported that they anticipate sales rising over the coming year
- Costs continued to rise with 53% net balance reporting a rise in costs in Q3 compared to a year ago largely due to wages and materials. 79% net balance reported that costs would rise in the next 12 months (75% in Q2)
- Headcount increased compared to a year ago for 73% net balance of respondents while 87% forecast an increase in the year ahead (69% in Q2).
- Raw Material prices become a key factor (21% of respondents) in ‘likely constraints on activity over the next 12 months’ after Capacity (36%) and Demand (29%).
CAB’s unique quarterly State of the Market Surveys provide an insight into current and expected trends in the aluminium in building sector. Each quarter CAB members complete a personalised version of the questionnaire which is then integrated into the wider Construction Products Association (CPA) survey. This utilises a balance of respondents to assess results and identify trends. A positive balance of respondents means that the percentage of firms reporting a rise is more than the proportion of firms that report a decline. For further information on the Survey or CAB in general contact Justin on 01453 828851 or email firstname.lastname@example.org